Saturday, September 6, 2008

# 50: Open Book Exam


When I was at university, some of those artsy courses used to have open book exams. They could take any book into the class and use it in the exam. Didn't make sense to me until I did one and realised if you don't know the stuff well enough you aren't going to find it quick enough in an exam.

God's judgement is an open book exam.

God's judgement is not a hidden mystery, as if he will judge us for things we know not what.

No, God has given us the textbook, in fact God is a lot like my Physics lecturer who used to say, "I'm not going to tell you what's in the exam, but if you study the lecture material, in particular week four, and if I was doing this exam I would be sure to study magnetism."

God has told us what's on the test, he's given us the textbook.

So it makes absolutely no sense for Cliff Richard to say things like this:

"I'm not going to judge, I'll leave that to God."

Off course we leave judgement to God, but God has told us how he will judge and that really ought to modify our behaviour and what we approve and disapprove of.

What Cliff really means is, "I'm not listening to what God has already told us"

Umm, Cliff, that's one of the main things God says he will judge us for.

No comments: